Plans to show Anthony Heywood’s Dove of Peace in Dover
After viewing Folkestone’s new mememorial arch with Philip Gearing and Clare Foster from Foster Gearing who designed the arch , Margaret Sheehy of MSL, sculptor Anthony Heywood, Richard Christian and Alyson Hudson from Dover Harbour Board and Cheryl Parker from VisitKent we met with the Folkestone Town Council team to talk about WW1 projects and how Dover and Folkestone might support each other.
This was followed by a visit to Dover Harbour Board’s cruise terminal 1 on Dover’s Western Docks to discuss with the DHB health and safety team the possibility of installing Anthony Heywoods sculpture Dove of Peace as part of the WW1 projects DHB are planning to coincide with the completion of the restoration of the terminal roof. The sculpture, in the form of a spitfire, has an 11-metre wingspan with 12-metre long fuselage and is made of high quality acid free paper weighing 750 kilos. It acts as a “ghostly” reminder that peace is fragile. DAD is delighted to be working with Anthony and DHB on this project.
The Dover Cruise Terminal, former railway station, is a large terminus with four platforms covered by a full roof. Situated on Admiralty Pier for connection to ships, this was constructed on an expanded pier. Finished in 1914, the station began to be used on 2 February 1915. it was renamed Dover Marine on 5 December 1918 and was brought back for use by the general public on 18 January 1919. It was renamed Dover Western Docks in 1979, and was closed by British Rail in 1994.
The Unknown Soldier arrived here on 10th November 1920 before being taken by train to London and buried in Westminster Abbey.